Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Trying Something New: Tuesday's Reflection

I wrote today's post from a different location. No, I have not joined Minnesota Snowbirds in Florida. Nor did I walk to a local coffee shop, but I left my beloved garret in order to try something new.

I was at COCO, a shared workspace in downtown St Paul. You probably know about these innovative worksites for individuals or small companies. Instead of leasing expensive office space, often more space than one needs, organizations like COCO provide smaller spaces, private and semi-private in a collaborative environment. https://explorecoco.com/about 

Daughter Kate and family gave me a month's membership as a Christmas present. My first time here I wasn't sure how I would like it, although the loft-like atmosphere in an old downtown St Paul building appeals to my old house nature. I am used to working in quiet, and I wondered how working where music was played and others working nearby talked with each other or on phones. I know younger people seem to have no problem with a more lively and social atmosphere, but I really love my solitude. 

I am pleased to say I adapted quickly and my first day here I was productive with a capital P! I don't anticipate coming here month after month, but there may be a time when I decide leaving the garret is just what I need. In the meantime it felt great to do something new. 

Doing something new or different from one's regular routine and habits is a good thing. And it doesn't need to be anything major or shocking or permanent. Maybe it's
*  Trying a new recipe or buying a product at the grocery store you've never used before. 
*  Going to a different restaurant or at least ordering something other than your "usual" at the restaurant you always go to.
*  Visiting a library not in your neighborhood.
*   Wearing a color you don't normally wear. Something other than black, for a change! 
*  Checking out a new store or one at least new to you.
*  Being a visitor in your own town and going somewhere you have never been to before--a park, a museum, a theatre.
*  Driving a different way to a familiar place. Often when I drive home from visiting my father in a nearby suburb I detour through some unfamiliar blocks of lovely old homes or I drive around one of the Lakes. Just because. 

Or maybe it's trying a new spiritual practice. Like walking a labyrinth or using a string of prayer beads or drawing a mandala. Or maybe it's greeting someone you don't know and entering into conversation. Maybe it's opening your heart where you have felt closed.


I think this is the perfect time of year to try something new. For many people winter drags on far too long and trying something new can be a breath of fresh air, but this is also the perfect season of life to try something new. After all, what do you have to lose?

An Invitation
What newness have you allowed to enter your life? I would love to know. 








6 comments:

  1. With your timely prompt I am going to follow through on a comment I recently made as well as a thought I've had --- I'm going to stop by a Church that I have heard about for years, but never ventured into. It is kind of "out of my way," yet many of my friends attend there. It will be good to have an image come to mind when I hear that name again! Wonder what else I will gain from this experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, too. Let me know. And bravo! to you for stretching.

      Delete
  2. Not very exciting, but a couple of weeks ago, I tried a new-to-me restaurant. Last month, I tried a new yoga studio. Of course, it being just one time, I don't feel at "home" there. I need to go again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Who knows what other "new" things are ahead.

      Delete
  3. I just came home from stopping by the Church I mentioned on Tuesday. It is beautiful - lovely stained glass windows. I was impressed. It's named for a Saint I knew little about. I learned something that I think is important for me to know as a Catholic as well as a citizen of this community. Thank you for the prompt and encouragement to follow through!

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted