Thursday, March 15, 2018

Being the Presence: Thursday's Reflection

Soon someone will sit in this chair, and I will sit across from her. 

Soon we will enter into some silence and  the process of knowing one another as companions on our spiritual journey. We will see one another as beloved by God.

Before I meet with one of my spiritual directees, I clear my desk (as much as possible), make sure the Kleenex box is full, and turn off my phone. I also sit in silence for a few minutes, clearing whatever clutters my heart and mind. I ask for guidance:
                  
                 Dear God, often I do not know
                       when to speak
                       how to be silent
                       where to focus
                       what to say.

                  Give me wisdom
                        to listen with a discerning heart,
                        so that I can find
                        a path of healing
                        in a confusion of words.

I attempt to center myself before the doorbell rings:

             Let me be at peace within myself, receptive, open.
             Free me of the internal noise that scatters my attention.
             Open all my senses to hear both words and silence.
             Prepare me to know this person, to enter into her/his
                   experience.
             Make me aware that you are the source of life within us all.
             Fill me with your great compassion toward myself and 
                    all beings.
             Create in me a welcoming love and a discerning wisdom.

It occurs to me that the words I pray and the attention I attempt to bring as a spiritual director to sessions with each of my clients can apply to all of our interactions, each of our relationships.

Are you having lunch with a friend today? Will you and your spouse/partner spend time sharing your day? Will you email or text someone you care about today? Will you attend a meeting and chat with those in attendance? Do you have a presentation to make to a potential business client? 

What about unplanned interactions--at the grocery store or waiting room in your doctor's office or coffee shop? 

Will your divinity be recognized? How will you represent the presence of God as you move through your day?

One of my mantras is "to feel the Presence and be the Presence." That's what I try to do in my privileged work as a spiritual director, but how important it is to carry that hope, that intention with me wherever I go and with all I may meet. 

No small task. 

An Invitation
What is your intention as you meet and greet others along the way? I would love to know. 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted