Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Being, Not Reading: Tuesday's Reflection

You know how much I love to read and the important place of books and reading time in my life, so what I am about to offer may seem counter-intuitive.

Recently, I have read a couple online articles about using bits of time for reading. Of course, I didn't make note of the links and can't find them now, but the hints to increase your reading time are quite simple. For example, you can read while
           * Waiting for the bus or your car pool to arrive,
           *  Filling your car with gas,
           *  Sitting in the doctor's or dentist's waiting or exam rooms,
           *  Standing in a grocery store, post office or other retail lines  or the security line at the airport,
            *  Picking up your children/grandchildren at school,
            *  Waiting for something to boil on the stove or coffee to perk,
            *  Going through a car wash,
            *  Filling the bathtub or 
            *  Being in any other in-between time.

No doubt you can add to this list of possible reading times.

I am rarely without reading material. I take a book with me in the car. I often have a magazine or journal in my purse, for I want to be prepared for unexpected open snatches of time. Lately, however, I often use those moments in other ways. 

I pay attention to my breathing. 
I listen to conversations around me. Yes, I eavesdrop.
I engage others in conversation, even though I am an introvert.
I notice my surroundings.
I look for beauty. I look for goodness. I look for the extraordinary in the ordinary.
I silently create a gratitude list.
I pray and send blessings. 
I rest in silence. 

I happen to read a lot, beginning and ending each day with reading time, as well as finding time to read at other times of the day. Perhaps then reading during brief interludes of time is not as necessary. 

Instead, however, I am aware of a slow turning of my attention towards being rather than doing. And in these moments I become more aware of who I am asked to be right now and how I am to live and move in my life as it is right now. 

I love to read and will always love to read and will continue to devote chunks of time to reading, but there is room in my life to pause and to BE, as well. 

An Invitation
How do you "use" the in-between or waiting moments of your life?I would love to know. 
            

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. For me, reading is to be savored and if I try to read bits at odd times I am too rushed and I have to go back and re-read them later. I like your idea of thinking gratitude or speaking to those around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, savoring. Let's do that in other areas of our life, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an interesting observation. So many productive and creative ways of being - thank you, Nancy

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted