Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Need a Little Gratitude in Your Life?: Tuesday's Reflection

I'm immersed in gratitude.



That doesn't mean I am the most grateful person in the world. Far from it. I often need to remind myself of all my blessings and to live with a more grateful heart.

No, I am immersed in gratitude because I am preparing a workshop on The Spiritual Practice of Gratitude that I am offering at our church this Thursday. (Let me know if you would like to attend. All our welcome.)

In the process I have read some wonderful quotes about gratitude. 
  
                   It is not happiness that makes us grateful.
                   It is being grateful that makes us happy.
                                   David Stendl-Nast

                   If the only prayer you would say in your
                   whole life is "thank you," that would suffice.
                                   Meister Eckhart

                   Gratitude begins in our hearts and then dovetails
                   into behavior. It almost always makes you 
                   willing to be of service, which is where the joy
                   resides. It means you are willing to stop being
                   such a jerk. When you are aware of all that has
                   been given to you, in your lifetime and in the
                   past few days, it is hard not to be humbled, and
                   pleased to give back.
                                     Anne Lamott

I have re-read sections on gratitude in books in my personal library. Books like Lamott's Help, Thanks, Wow and Fully Awake and Truly Alive, Spiritual Practices to Nurture Your Soul by Rev. Jane E. Venard. I have logged onto gratefulness.org. I have organized content and activities for my workshop and have made lists of everything I need to do before we gather. 

I have even sat in silence in the morning, my journal on my lap, and listed joys and pleasures in my life. When I take a breath it is not hard to do. Of course, that is when I truly immerse myself in gratitude, and it does make a difference. 

During the course of my immersion I found another kind of list. (Sorry, I don't have a reference for it.)

Signs That You Need to Restore Gratitude in Your Life
1.   You complain a lot and often contribute a negative comment no matter the topic.
2.    You have trouble getting started in the morning, as if you've lost your enthusiasm for life.
3.    You overlook the presence of beauty in the natural world.
4.    You have resentment about events in the past.
5.    You have trouble asking for help.
6.    You frequently feel like a victim.
7.    It's difficult for you to be dependent on others.
8.    You haven't enjoyed the sunset or sunrise in a long time.
9.    You don't take care of your body.
10.   Time seems to pass by too quickly for you to really enjoy life or live it to its fullest.
11.   You have trouble enjoying the present moment.
12.   You can't remember the last time you spontaneously hugged someone. 

Interesting list, isn't it? Do you recognize yourself here? Well then, maybe it is time to immerse yourself in gratitude. Today is a good day to do that.

Oh, and by the way, I am grateful you read my blog. 

An Invitation
What's on your gratitude list today? I would love to know. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted