Thursday, November 30, 2017

Moving and Aging: Thursday's Reflection

 Four years ago over the Thanksgiving weekend we moved into The Little House. 




How is that possible?


Somedays it feels like we have lived here forever, but sometimes it feels like only yesterday when boxes were stacked in the living room. We have made lots of changes since then, including painting the exterior and most of the interior, building a new garage, and installing central air and all new windows. This past summer Bruce added a low fence in the front yard and if you have visited us, you know how skillfully and artfully Bruce's garden spaces are growing.

We are happy here. Content and grateful.

I am currently reading Thomas Moore's new book Ageless Soul, The Lifelong Journey Toward Meaning and Joy, and each chapter opens me to new perspectives about this time of my life and the time to come. Moore says one of the stages of aging is "shifting toward old age," and I think that is in part what we did when we made the decision to make this full circle move. 

Moving here, however, was not without its challenges--moving never is--and required patience and effort and flexibility and a willingness to hold a vision of the big picture. We knew we wanted to return to the place where we had raised our children and where the majority of family and friends live. We knew this was where we wanted to be as we age. 

We made an intentional decision that would allow us to unfold into our aging and to have support when our needs change. 

I am so grateful for our life here. 

An Invitation
Is a decision hovering around you, waiting for you to make a move? Is it time to explore what you may need as you age? I would love to know. 













6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your article in the winter Bella Grace and came to visit here. I love your house and the story behind it! And I love all the details in your blog posts. I made my big move to a condo by a lake last year and I am happy here, like it was always meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind words. I am delighted you have found exactly where you are meant to be. Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There
    I just stop by after reading your article in Bella Grace. Your house is beautiful, I do like the colors.
    Eliana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading both the essay and my blog. And your kind words.

      Delete
  4. I too found your blog after reading your lovely article in Bella Grace. (I bought the magazine on a whim today in Barnes and Noble! Perfection.) I look forward to reading many more articles in your blog and feel like we have to be connected in some way. Hugs from afar! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you discovered Bella Grace --and my blog, too. Perhaps if you keep reading my blog, we will discover the ways we are connected. Light Blessings, Nancy

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted