Thursday, November 10, 2016

What Now? Thursday's Reflection

Like many of you, I am stunned, and I am walking around with an open wound. For right now I need to weep and wallow and be shocked and sad and even scared, but what about next week and next month and into next year? Soon it will be time to gather our strength and take the next brave steps.


I have been thinking about what Hillary's campaign chairman John Pedesta said to the crowd in the early hours of the morning, "Go home and get some sleep." The convention center had been reserved for another group, and the area needed to be vacated, but even if that weren't the case, there is wisdom in his words. 

How often "go home and get some sleep" is the best advice.

Go home to what grounds and sustains you. Go home to what supports you. Your base. Your truth. 

Get some sleep, for even though the reality will not have magically changed when you wake up, you will be better able to cope and to take the next step. No one makes good decisions or sees anything clearer when exhausted. 

And besides as a friend wrote this morning, "At least the sun came out this morning." Night always becomes day and day turns into night and night into day. This we know. 

I don't know exactly what the next step needs to be, however, but I know there can't be a return to business as usual. The next steps need to include listening to one another, really listening, being willing to hear deep into the hurts and the fears and the hopes and dreams of all peoples.

An Invitation
How are you and what do you intend to do next? I would love to know. 




2 comments:

  1. I am devastated and sick and a little panicky. I counseled a co-worker this morning who was approaching burn-out on the job. When she disclosed that she is a Trump supporter, it tool all of my composure to regroup. Her pain and struggle with her job are real, but part of me wanted to blame her. Ultimately I hugged her and offered some good suggestions. Before I was back to the office, she had sent a "thank you" email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must keep our hearts open. Thanks for the reminder, Patty.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted