Tuesday, June 8, 2021

A Reframing: From Paralysis to Pause

When I feel overwhelmed, whether by tasks, choices, ideas, or even eagerly anticipated events, I often feel paralyzed. 

 

I linger in bed in the morning even though I am awake--and time is a wasting! 

I play too many games of Solitaire on my phone or check the library online for titles I want to add to my hold list, which is already long.

I promise myself I will read just one more chapter in the book currently at my side, but --no surprise--one chapter turns into two or three more. 

I won't reveal all the ways I procrastinate, but there are many. Too many. 

Well, Monday morning I had a bit of an ah-ha. 


This week is a busy one. A week of major milestones. A week greatly anticipated. To begin with on Sunday we attended our granddaughter Maren's high school graduation, and it was glorious. She was stunning in her while suit, and how wonderful it was to celebrate her. After a summer adventure of canoeing in Alaska, she will attend Lewis and Clark in Portland, OR. 

On Thursday our Cleveland kids, Geof and Cricket arrive and oh how I can't wait to have them here after not being with them for over a year. Hugs!!! They are coming both for Maren's open house, but, also, our whole family is gathering for a graveside service to bury my Dad's ashes. An important and emotional time for all of us. 

The list is manageable, but still I felt stuck, not wanting to do the next thing. Or much of anything. That feeling of being paralyzed was all too familiar.

And then the ah-ha! Instead of labeling my inaction as paralysis, why not appreciate it and reframe it as a pause. A pause to breathe. A pause to gather energy. A pause to prepare. 


A pause to smell the roses and be present. 

A pause to pray.

Why is it we are so hard on ourselves. How often we criticize ourselves for not doing enough or not doing the right thing at the right time or for being lazy or passive? For being paralyzed. Instead, how wise we would be if we paused to listen to ourselves and to the voice of Spirit within.

Pausing is not the same as stopping or ignoring or giving up or disabling or being numb. Or denying. A pause is a recess, a time-out, an interlude. And then we move forward refreshed, more awake, and alert, open, and ready. 




An Invitation
Do you ever feel overwhelmed? If so, what helps? I would love to know. 

NOTE: Next week my "summer spirituality guide" will be available. 





 

6 comments:

  1. I love your idea of reframing and showing yourself kindness and care. It actually strikes me as practical as well - a Tai Chi block and redirection of that paralysis. Awesome! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the T'ai Chi connection. I will be teaching an intro course soon, and this reminds me of yet one more way T'ai Chi is a spiritual tool.

      Delete
  2. I love this post! It resonates especially well for me. Thank you, and congratulations on Maren's graduation and having your family together to celebrate your father's remarkable life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this resonates with you, and thanks for reading and responding.

      Delete
  3. And sometimes, pieces of my life that I hold dear need to be gently put aside without self criticism and guilt or an all or nothing sense of abandonment as I move forward in an area of my life that calls for attention in ways that I cannot ignore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep learning how and when to let go. Be gentle with yourself.

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted