Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Advent Time

Advent is my favorite season. I have gathered my Advent resources, and I am ready.

Frankly, I am somewhat surprised about my eagerness for Advent this year, for Advent is about waiting and preparing. Advent is full of promise and anticipation. Why is it that this year, even more than other years, Advent is just what I need?

After all, haven't we been waiting for months? Months and month. Haven't we been anticipating the end of the pandemic for months? Haven't we been patient, hoping for the promised vaccine? 

Waiting for Christmas Day to arrive seems easy compared to waiting to move forward into a post-pandemic life, especially since Christmas Eve and Day celebrations will not happen in the traditional ways. 

So why rejoice at the beginning of this Advent season? 

Because it IS the season of 

    Waiting

    Preparation

    Promise 

    Anticipation


During most of this past year, we have adapted to life in a pandemic. For some it has been easier than for others, but no one has been able to live without making some changes. Each of us has experienced loss and uncertainty, and most likely, a feeling of loss of control, too. This has been a tough time, and it's not done yet.

However, Advent is a kind of time-out, especially this year, when we won't be racing in and out of stores or to holiday parties or performances. We won't be scrambling to do all the expected things. 

Instead, this Advent offers us a time to relax and wait. Our preparation involves looking inward. Is there spiritual work I need to do? What regrets or hurts need to be put to rest? This season we can open ourselves to the bigger promise that we are beloved by God, no matter what, and we can anticipate what it might mean to live as the people God created us to be. 



I have gathered my tried and true resources from my bookshelves. I ordered an Advent calendar to color from Praying in Color and it has arrived. I closed my eyes and selected this year's companion from my "Advent Perspectives, Companions for the Journey" deck of cards. I have Christmas cards ready to address, and I have decorated the house--earlier than usual and less than usual, but just enough. 

I am ready for Advent. 

Even if you do not observe Advent, I suggest you sit quietly in the almost dark, candle light flickering around you, and breathe in calm and peace and exhale love and joy and hope. Maybe this will become your favorite time of the year, too.


                                           Who wait with fear
                                            who wait with joy
                                            who wait with peace
                                            who wait with rage

                                            who wait at the end
                                            who wait for the beginning
                                            who wait alone
                                            who wait together

                                             bless them.
                                                          from "Blessing for Waiting"
                                                                   Jan Richardson    



An Invitation
Are you ready for Advent? I would love to know. 






2 comments:

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted