Monday, November 16, 2020

Do You Care?


I begin my day by reading historian 
Heather Cox Richardson's  newsletter, "Letters from an American." I confess I do this even before I make the bed and before I head to the garret for my morning devotion time. Often what I read in her daily commentary becomes the basis for my prayers.

What I read Sunday morning almost took my breath away. 

            Excerpts from a new book by
            former President 
            Barack Obama, due out next week, reveal 
            McConnell’s response to a plea from then-
            Vice President Biden to pass a worthwhile bill. 
            McConnell answered: “You must be under the 
            mistaken impression that I care.” 

McConnell, of course, refers to Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY).

Let me repeat McConnell's words.

       "You must be under the mistaken impression that I care."

Take in those words. Close your eyes and hear them being said. The man saying them was elected by citizens to serve in the Senate. If you are from Kentucky, how does that sound to you? And in the rest of the country, how would you like it if the man or woman elected to serve the people in your state said he or she didn't care? 

I don't know what the bill was that McConnell was asked to consider, but I expect those who represent me in government positions TO CARE, no matter what the issue is or what position is taken. Care enough to consider, to study, to listen, to investigate, to look at all sides, to ponder, to think, to ask questions. And yes, to challenge. Care at least that much.

Part of my morning devotion time is reading Barbara Brown Taylor's new book, a collection of her sermons, Always A Guest, Speaking of Faith Far From Home. As always, I find her provocative and inspirational. She cares. Her text for a sermon called "How To Lose Your Life Everyday," was Romans 12:14-18.

            Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not
            curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep
            with those who weep. Live in harmony with one
            another; do not be haughty, but associate with the
            lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are. Do not
            repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what
            is noble in the sight of all. If it is possible, so far as
            it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

These verses are full of admonitions to care. Reread these verses, substituting the word "care" where it makes sense.

            Care for those who persecute you; care and do
            not curse them. Care for those who rejoice, care 
            for those who weep. Live in caring harmony 
            with one another; do not be haughty, but care 
            for the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you
            are. Do not repay evil for evil, but care about what
            is noble in the sight of all. If it is possible, so far 
            as it depends on you, live peaceably with and
            care for all. 

Hear that, Mr. McConnell. 

Hear that, Nancy, for, of course, those words are for me. 
For each of us. 

How many times have you heard both before and after the election, "What can I do?" Well, we each have to come up with specific answers, and there are plenty out there, but the first step is to care

Just care

Right now one way--a big way--to show you care is to wear a mask. 

An Invitation
What are some ways you show you care? Where do you see evidence of caring? I would love to know. 

2 comments:

  1. fellow HCR fan here. I too read her first thing... I see evidence of care in some of the wonderful books out there such as works by barbara brown taylor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, BBT is one of my go-to writers for care and caring.

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted