Thursday, May 14, 2020

The Welcoming Prayer: Thursday's Reflection


When my mother was alive, one of her habits was to go upstairs to the master bedroom around 4:00 everyday and turn on the lamp on their dresser. If I happened to be there, staying with them for a few days, she turned on the lamp in my bedroom, too. 

The glow of lamplight welcomed us when we went up for bed late in the evening. 

I borrowed Mom's habit and whenever you happen to visit, the dresser lamp will be beaming, as a sign of comfort and welcome.

How important that welcome, that symbol of solace and ease, has been these last weeks when I returned each day from vigil time with my father. 

The lit lamp reminds me of a wonderful prayer by Father Thomas Keating that I have turned to frequently the last couple months, "The Welcoming Prayer."

           Welcome, welcome, welcome.
          I welcome everything that comes to me today.
          Because I know it's for my healing.
          I welcome all thoughts, feelings, emotions,   
          persons, situation, and conditions.
          I let go of my desire for power and control.
          I let go of my desire for affection, esteem,
          approval and pleasure.
          I let go of my desire for survival and security.
          I let go of my desire to change any situation,
          condition, person, or myself.
          I open to the love and presence of God and
          God's action within. Amen.

Different lines in this prayer resonated at different times. Sometimes I needed to shed the need for control, and other times I needed to honor everything I was feeling. This prayer reminded me that caring for my father had nothing to do with eliciting praise or approval of others, but rather, about paying attention to the movement of God. I needed the constant reminder to open to the love and presence of God. 

I may no longer have the daily routine and purpose of caring for my father, but I suspect the sentiments of this prayer will be even more relevant. Now I will begin to live, as most of you are living, more fully in this pandemic time. I will need to let go of much of what has been normal in my life and welcome a new way of being. I will need to discover who I am to be in this time; what God has in store for me; and what it means to open to the love and presence of God no matter what.

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

An Invitation
What are you welcoming right now? I would love to know. 

1 comment:

  1. I am welcoming the awful and heartbreaking struggle my 13 year old daughter is experiencing right now. I welcome the opportunity to trust that God is growing and healing her (and me) through all of it. I welcome the power of prayer. I welcome the kindness of gentle souls.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted