Thursday, January 30, 2020

Book Journal: Thursday’s Reflection

If you have been reading my blog for awhile, there are two things you know about me for sure. 

I love books. Reading books--lots and lots of books-- talking about books, reading about books, listening to podcasts about books, and keeping lists of books.

AND

I love lists--creating lists, checking items off my lists, saving lists.

The two loves come together in my Book Journal.

Last year I kept my book lists in my bullet journal, which is where I make my weekly and monthly lists, along with other miscellaneous lists and notes, but this year I decided to devote a separate journal to all things BOOK. 

This is where I maintain my TBR (To Be Read) list, an ever-growing list plus, of course, my list of what I have read, divided into fiction and nonfiction categories. I also keep track of books acquired during the year, books eliminated from my shelves, books abandoned before finishing, book ideas for other people, favorite quotations from books, selections for our book group. Recently, I added a copy of a great list of books for those traveling to England (or in my case, wishing I could travel to England), suggested by Anne Bogel in her Modern Mrs Darcy blog. (Book List) 

I know this must seem silly, over-the-top and/or obsessive compulsive. Perhaps you are shaking your head and saying, "Get a life!" or "Who cares!' 

I do hope you won't abandon reading my blog because of what seems like a trivial, time-consuming distraction from the more important concerns in life. 

Let me explain. Earlier this month I discovered my Word of the Year is Fullness (See Word of the Year) Fullness to me means staying awake to the sacred in life--and I consider books and reading sacred. Fullness is being aware of the abundance and richness in my life. Fullness does not mean avoiding the tough, the difficult, the painful, but in order to stay connected and informed and responsive, I must honor what gives me pleasure. Books and my reading life give me pleasure. Books are a part of the fullness of life, and dipping into my book journal to add a title to one of the lists reminds me of the many gifts writers and words add to my life.   

Somehow keeping a book journal enhances my ability to engage  with what I am reading, deepening the insights, the perspectives and connections and moving me towards a life lived with greater meaning and purpose.  

Tomorrow I will note on a new list my favorite books for the month of January: Kindred by Octavia Butler (fiction) and Ordinary Light, a memoir by poet Tracy K. Smith. I recommend them both.

Now excuse me, I have reading to do. 

An Invitation
What activities in your life now add to the fullness in your life? I would love to know. 













2 comments:

  1. This isn't trivial to me at all! Perhaps because I'm also a book lover and list maker. I don't keep my book lists in a journal, but I keep track of the ones I've read on the website, goodreads. And then I have computer/Word files for my book wish list and the ones I want to get from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful for your appreciation of books, Nancy. I always go to the library armed with one of your lists!

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted