Thursday, June 20, 2019

Packing for a Trip: Thursday's Reflection

I don't like packing to go on a trip.

There's just too much to consider. The weather. The number of days. Our plans--where we are going, who we will see and what we will do.  And what happens if I spill or get something dirty, as I am apt to do?

And then the accessories. The right shoes. Will we be doing lots of walking? Well, then comfort is the most important thing. I'm someone who likes variety, and I like what I wear to match--at least to some degree. And I don't like wrinkles. Oh, the wardrobe woes! 

The bottom line is that I feel better, if I think I look ok, presentable. 

So I stand in my closet and I pull out possible outfits. I sort and I toss. I fold and then I reconsider and rehang those pants and this top. Maybe this blouse would be better. And I can always wear my trusty jean jacket, if it gets cool. 

And will I have enough toothpaste and shampoo? How often will I need to wash my hair? On a recent trip I forgot mascara. I look invisible without mascara, I think. Oh well, I survived. I usually forget at least one thing, but rarely does it matter. I know that, but still...

Do I want to stay home to avoid my packing phobia? No, of course, not, but a maid, like one in Downton Abbey, would be nice.
      "Might I suggest the pink frock, Madam, and your
       long strand of pearls? You'll look stunning at Lord and
       Lady X's dinner."

And, of course, this imaginary maid would do the actual packing. Neatly and precisely. 

I may not be a good packer, but I am excellent unpacker. We came home from a couple days away recently and within 45 minutes everything was unpacked--washer was swirling with dirty clothes, and unused or still clean were hanging in their assigned spots. I had emptied the cooler, read the mail, and made a grocery list. All was restored, for the art of resettlement is one of my gifts. 

Of course, in-between the packing and the unpacking is what is most important. This is a month of short trips to spend time with friends and family. In fact, soon we will be on the road again for the next round of reconnecting with loved ones. My wardrobe woes will fade into the background, and I will quickly remember what makes my dreaded packing indecisiveness worth it. 

A confession: writing this post has been a distraction. I have not finished packing and we leave in a few minutes. 
              "Madam," says my invisible maid, "don't forget
              your pajamas."

An Invitation
What is your least favorite part of traveling? I would love to know. 

NOTE: I am going to be away from the garret for awhile and more than likely won't be posting till early July. 

7 comments:

  1. Hope You & Bruce have a wonderful road trip! "Stay Well & Be Happy!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the packing and deciding what to take. Once I'm on the road, I love the traveling, and best of all is the coming home again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, how good it is to arrive home each time. I always come home with more than when I left--all those memories.

      Delete
  3. Cannot wait for you to be here. You can bet on rain in Cleveland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be prepared. Just throw the whole closet into the car and we're on our way!

      Delete
  4. Perfectly timed post, Nancy. Janie and ai have a few family type trips this summer. In fact I’m writing fro S.F.. Her wardrobe decisions starts weeks in advance. Mine express themselves as stress and anxiety. Flying and the requirement of schlepping heavy backpacks and carryons through endless concourses make the fantasy of traveling light even more alluring and elusive. Happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling definitely takes stamina! Traveling mercies.

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted