Tuesday, May 7, 2019

I Believe: Tuesday's Reflection


Sunday our granddaughter was confirmed in the Lutheran Church after four years of weekly confirmation classes. At one point in the Sunday morning service, each confirmand is blessed by one of the pastors as family and friends surround her and lay hands on her. Yes, it was a two-hanky day!

Another memorable part of the day was to see the Credo Projects, created by each of the young people. These statements or experiences of their faith journey were on display for all to see, renewing our hope for the future of the church and beyond that, the world. Perhaps some day I will share Maren's words, with her permission, of course, but for now, know that I am incredibly proud of her.  

Seeing all those projects reminded me of my own credo project, a list of "I believe" statements I wrote in my journal when I was  training to be a spiritual director. Here's a selection:

*  I believe in the power of a quest and that the Holy is my partner on the quest.
*  I believe there are many ways to approach and experience God.
*  I believe God is mother, father, neither.
*  I believe God has carved my name in the palm of her hand and knows me completely.
*  I not only believe I am a child of God, but that God encourages me to be an adult of God.
*  I believe a hug can restore hope and courage, especially if followed by a chocolate chip cookie.
*  I believe God is always with me, even when I feel only absence.
*  I believe to know God we must know God with body, mind, and spirit.
*  I believe that out of the many choices in front of me at any one time, more than one choice is the right choice, a good choice, a  choice that will lead me to a deeper relationship with God.
*  I believe one thing leads to another and looking back, I can see how the dots are all connected.
*  I believe in the activity of solitude.
*  I believe in my child within and sometimes I need to let her play.
*  I believe the cure of the common cold--and so much else--is a good book, an afghan, a Snickers bar and an afternoon on the couch.
*  I believe I am called to be a spiritual director and that my job is to help others rest, reflect, renew, rejoice on this path to God.
*  I believe I am the crack of dawn, nurturer, wolf, companion and companioned, open and opening, journeying, love, mirror and winter. 
*  I believe I am called into community, as much as I am called into solitude. 
*  I believe I am called to be a hometender, a creator of sacred, nurturing space, a haven, a sanctuary.
*  I believe I must pray when I am afraid to pray.
*  I believe in the power of sharing one's beliefs. 
*  I believe I will run out of time before I run out of the desire to create. 
*  I believe, not only in seeking God, but in waiting for God.

This is my credo project. Or at least the rough draft for one. 

An Invitation
What do you believe? I would love to know.

,


1 comment:

  1. Yes, you did get through it --with your light shining all the way. Much love!

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted