Thursday, February 7, 2019

Deciding to Stay Home: Thursday's Reflection

Thanks to last week's extreme cold and this week's ice and now snow, events on my calendar have melted away. In some cases I have suggested re-scheduling and in other cases my spiritual direction clients have moved their appointments to a day one hopes will be less problematic on the roads and sidewalks. 

As you know, if you have read this blog over time, I never have a problem with "found" time. I may miss not doing something or seeing someone, but I have no problem with the open, unfilled space. After all, there is always another book to read.

I think I have always felt that way, but now that I am 70, I have a freedom I didn't have when I was younger. 

I no longer need to get to work where I was bound to worry all day about how I would manage the drive home in the snow that was accumulating through out the day while I was at my desk writing media releases and planning events. 

I no longer have to pick up kids from school and get them to the game or activity that for some ridiculous reason has not been cancelled.

I no longer have to attend a meeting or another event if I don't want to. The group will survive that one time without my presence and input. 

I can choose to stay home. Without regret. Without agonizing about disappointing someone or myself. I can relax knowing my father is safe in his senior living apartment and because our grandkids live close by, we can easily accommodate their needs and changed schedules. I have fewer layers of responsibility and expectations now and, in fact, live a privileged life. I can adjust easily and even graciously. 

Now I realize these at home days caused by treacherous weather conditions may be easier for an introvert, especially a writer who often craves stretches of time to write and reflect and read. I have always been a self-directed person and usually can move smoothly from one vision of the day to another, but I also think these days are gifts. I can cultivate inner contentment. I can find satisfaction in the simplicity of staying home. 

And so I do. 

An Invitation
What have you learned about yourself when schedules change? I would love to know. 





2 comments:

  1. I am "only" 56 but I've been at home full-time since I was 50, after leaving a government job that I was miserable in. I am an introvert too, so I love being at home and have no problem filling my time with things that I love...writing, reading, gardening, decorating and puttering in my house, taking care of my cats, working in my art journal, scrapbooking, practicing yoga and meditation, cooking and baking. I am never bored!

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted