Tuesday, January 22, 2019

My Tribute to Mary Oliver: Tuesday's Reflection

What could be a better tribute to a poet than to snuggle into a chair wrap up in a shawl, and browse lazily through her poems? 

Mary Oliver, whom I think of as the unofficial poet laureate of the United States, not just for one year, but for one year after another, died last week at the age of 83. More than 20 volumes of poetry by this Pulitzer Prize winning poet have been published. I own eight of those volumes, all stacked together on a shelf behind my desk where I can easily grab one for a quick poetry fix. How pretty they all look together. How smooth they feel in my hand. 

Reading her poems I feel as if I am walking with her, not quite beside her, but just a pace or two behind her. I strain to hear what she says, and I note where she points or pauses. 

I started reading Oliver's poems when we lived in Ohio on Sweetwater Farm. I was a city girl who wanted to be more at home with the gifts of nature, and Mary was one of my guides. She encouraged me --not that she knew it, of course--to pay attention, to lean into the precious world around me, even when the lessons offered were sometime painful. And then she helped me grieve. 

Behind our barn was a small pond, which wasn't visible from the house. One had to be deliberate about going to the pond, and, in fact, after my cancer surgery I measured my healing by the number of times I walked around that pond before needing to rest. The pond was often a resting place for a Great Blue Heron. I was only aware of it when I walked from the back door of our house to the garage or into the garden. My movement, my presence, even at a distance, bothered her, and before I saw her, I heard her lift off, her wings flapping like sheets on a clothesline, and then I saw her in the sky above me. 

I was always in awe of that unwieldy bird's ability to lift its top heavy body and take off, especially since the small pond didn't give her much space to make a running start. 

According to Animal-Speak by Ted Andrews, the heron is a symbol of self-determination and self-reliance. The heron's long legs are symbols of balance, and they represent an ability to progress and evolve and to explore life deeply. "But you must be able to stand on your own." 

The heron was a messenger for me during our Sweetwater Farm years, as was Mary Oliver's poem "Heron Rises from the Dark Summer Pond" in the book, What Do We Know, Poems and Prose Poems. Here's an excerpt:


                                     So heavy
              is the long-necked, long-bodied heron,
                             always it is a surprise
                     when her smoke-colored wings

                                        open
                                    and she turns
                              from the thick water,
                              from the black sticks

                              of the summer pond,
                                      and slowly
                                  rises into the air
                                     and is gone.

                             ...

                          And especially it is wonderful
                             that the summers are long
                       and the ponds so dark and so many,
                             and therefore it isn't a miracle

                                  but the common thing,
                                        this decision,
                         this trailing of the long legs in the water,
                               this opening up of the heavy body

                              into a new life: see how the sudden
                                   gray-blue sheets of her wings
                  strive toward the wind; see how the clasp of nothing 
                                                     takes her in. 


I wonder about the last poem Mary Oliver wrote. Did she write about a heron opening up to a new life? I like to think she did.

An Invitation
Do you have a favorite Mary Oliver poem? I would love to know. 


10 comments:

  1. Well said Nancy. I can picture that heron and pond easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living two time zones away allows your post to greet me as I emerge into the morning. I thought of you, your pond and Mary Oliver's hope as I reread her poem Thirst which was on the cover of Sunday's church bulletin.
    Thirst
    Another morning and I wake with thirst for the goodness I do not have. I walk out to the pond and all the way God has given us such beautiful lessons. Oh Lord, I was never a quick scholar but sulked and hunched over my books past the hour and the bell; grant me, in your mercy, a little more time. Love for the earth and love for you are having such a long conversation in my heart. Who knows what will finally happen or where I will be sent, yet already I have given a great many things away, expecting to be told to pack nothing, except the prayers which, with this thirst, I am slowly learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this. What a wonderful piece of "scripture." Perfect for an exercise of lectio divina. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I shared Wild Geese with the palliative medicine fellows this morning during our monthly reflection conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one of my favorites. I love that Mary Oliver is everywhere!

      Delete
  4. Mary Oliver was my favorite poet! I have ten of her books. I actually got to meet her in person in 2012 at Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. She was a tiny, quiet, unassuming woman with a great sense of humor. I loved listening to her speak and read some of her poetry, which I had heard she didn't do often. (Public speaking.) Then we got to meet her afterwards and sign one of her books. I was tongue-tied when meeting her face-to-face! I blurted out something stupid, I'm sure. Anyway...I've been re-reading her books lately, too.

    PS - I mentioned you/your blog in my latest blog post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fortunate to have met Mary Oliver and then to have her sign a book for you. One of life's memorable moments. Thanks for mentioning me in your blog and I intend to comment, for I so enjoyed seeing your "comfy" home. Melanie's blog is https://comfyhouse.blogspot.com. Check it out.

      Delete
  5. Wild Geese is my favourite. It’s such a comfort, and I return to it over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an impact that poem has had and continues to have for so many.

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted