Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Civil Rights Tour: Reflection #3

If you are a ongoing reader of this blog, perhaps you are saying to yourself, "Isn't she done writing about the civil rights tour she was on yet? Can't she find something else to write about, like Thanksgiving and all the ways we are grateful? Maybe even offer her favorite pie or stuffing recipe?" 

Nope. Not yet.

Our group returned from the civil rights tour in Alabama and Mississippi a little over a week ago, and, of course, life is moving forward in many ways. I've paid bills and bought groceries. Fixed meals. Ironed. Met with spiritual direction clients. I've started preparing for two upcoming sessions at church. Etc. Etc.

I am functioning better than I was a week ago, but I am still foggy. I am still as muddy as the water in the Tallahatchie River. 

Part of me remains standing on the bridge over the Tallahatchie River where the body of the young Emmett Till was thrown. This young child supposedly had committed the sin of whistling at a white woman. For that he was tortured and murdered. Only in recent years has that woman, whose husband was one of the killers, recanted the story, saying she had lied.  




Why is it, I wonder, that only a simple, unofficial sign points the way to the bridge? Why is it that the path to the bridge is untended,  overgrown, ignored? I stood on that bridge, holy ground, and looked down into that brown, dirty water. The dense vegetation along the murky river's edges symbolizes for me the challenge of becoming clear about the wrongs we have committed and continue to perpetrate.  

Later that day we met with an impressive young man, Benjamin Salisbury who runs the Emmett Till Interpretive Center. The center  is across the street from the courthouse in Sumner, Mississippi where the men who murdered Till were acquitted. Under his direction we read a resolution that had been developed through a process of reconciliation and presented to the Till family. Salisbury described this process as "choosing to work towards a better part of ourselves."

The resolution begins in this way:

          We the citizens of Tallahatchie County believe that 
           racial reconciliation begins with telling the truth.
           We call on the state of Mississippi, all of its citizens
           in every county, to begin an honest investigation into
           our history. While it will be painful, it is necessary
           to nurture reconciliation and to ensure justice for all.
           By recognizing the potential for division and violence 
           in our towns, we pledge to each other, black and white,
           to move forward together in healing the wounds of the 
           past, and in ensuring equal justice for all of our citizens.

Salisbury told us the Till family accepted the public apology and were grateful for it. He sees that as a "reset" moment. 

I needed to stand in silence at that bridge. Later, sitting in one of the jury chairs (Who sat there, I wondered, and what was he, for it was a jury of all men, thinking and did he ever think he had done the wrong thing?) I closed my eyes, as Salisbury, this wise young man, said, "We have to choose to be hopeful."   






Now home I have needed to sit in stillness, even more than what is normal for me. Images from those days, as well as conversations with the people who shared their stories should not be filed away into a folder labeled "Fall Trip." Our guide reminded us that it is not enough to learn the history, but we must take steps to develop relationships with those whose stories are different from ours. We must find a way to reconcile and repent--not just by saying we are sorry, but by taking action, by finding ways to move from injustice to justice for all. 

I am not pointing fingers at Mississippi or Alabama, for my beloved cities of St Paul and Minneapolis are one of the most segregated areas of the country. We have so much work to do here, and that's why I continue to reflect about what I learned and saw on the civil rights tour. My hope and prayer is that I can make a difference here and that you can make a difference wherever you are.  

An Invitation
What reconciliation needs to happen in your own life? I would love to know. 













No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted