Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Keeping the Sabbath: Tuesday's Reflection

Remember the sabbath day, and keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work. But the seventh is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work--you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. For in six days the Lord  made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and consecrated it. 
                                        Exodus 20: 8-11

Sunday's excellent sermon on this third commandment invited me to think about how I keep the sabbath or, in fact, if I keep the sabbath. 

Here's a typical Sunday in my life:
*    Church at 8:15. This Sunday not only was the sermon excellent, as it always is, but there was also a baptism and an installation of our new parish nurse and music by two members who are exceptional violinists and also a lovely vocal solo from a teenage girl.  During the program year we usually attend the adult education hour after church as well and appreciate the opportunity to expand our learning. 
*      Brunch at Turtle Bread Bakery. We bring the New York Times with us. I read the Book Review, and Bruce begins reading the other sections.
*     Time at my desk. I consult the week's calendar and make a list for the coming week. Plus, I write my Tuesday reflection and perhaps do some correspondence--a few emails to friends and maybe a letter or two. 
*     Open time. Maybe an event, such as attending a graduation party as we did this Sunday, or going for a drive. Bruce often plays in the garden, and I may play in the kitchen. The afternoon often includes a walk and time to read in the snug. 
*      Dinner in front of the tv, while watching Masterpiece Theatre or other PBS favorites, such as Call the Midwife. 
*     Bed at our usual time. Early!

What do I think? Do I actually keep the sabbath?

Attending to and engaging with the Word is one of the ways to keep the sabbath, as stated in Pastor Bradley's sermon. Sunday mornings I try to focus and be present to the Word and all the ways it is offered during the service--the scripture, the prayers, the hymns, the invitation to communion, the sharing of the peace, the greetings and conversations with friends and with visitors, and I hope to integrate those words into my life in the following days.

But I also attend to the word when I am at my desk. Writing my reflections for this blog is one way I attempt to listen to God's voice within me. What are the words I am asked to explore, to share, to extend? What is the conversation I would like to begin with you, my readers? 

I attend to the word by reading the words of others. I read the newspaper as one way to connect with the world and to clarify the ways I am asked to respond to the problems and challenges in the world. I attend to the word as I read a novel or watch a well done television program, for those words help me understand human nature and the movement of God in our lives.

I attend to the word before I close my eyes at night by offering blessings in my last prayers of the day. I often lift up a question or a problem, and I often start the next day with an answer, a new approach or perspective or feeling of spaciousness. The word floats in and around me even in the night. 

I have four books about sabbath time in my library (Sabbath by Dan B. Allender, Sabbath, Finding Rest, Renewal and Delight in Our Busy Lives by Wayne Muller, Sabbath Keeping, Finding Freedom in the Rhythms of Rest by Lynne M. Baab, and Soul Tending, A Journey into the Heart of Sabbath) and I am tempted to read each one again and see what meaning sabbath has for this stage of my life. 

Allender in his book says the sabbath is "an invitation to enter God's delight...a kind of delight that leads to life." That's how my sabbath days feel to me. 

An Invitation
How do you keep the sabbath? I would love to know. 

Two More Notes
1.  Thursday's reflection will be my annual summer reading plan and recommendations. 
2.   I was so pleased to see the new Bella Grace at Barnes and Noble the other day. My essay, "The Sounds of Life" is on pages 100-105. 









4 comments:

  1. You forgot about Shelly Miller's book, Rhythms of Rest. You mentioned it in one of your blogs and I've just finished reading it. I like many of her suggestions. Even the one that you can make a sabbath rest on a day other than Sunday. Mondays are a slower day for me and I can spend more time in prayer and God's word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your article in Bella Grace; that is how I found you. Sabbath rest has been an ongoing learning experience for me. I read Baab's book and Mueller's, both good. I have also enjoyed Rhythms of Rest, by Shelly Miller and 24/7 by Matthew Sleeth, MD. As to how I keep the Sabbath; I have been experimenting. I attend church, read, collage, mess about in the yard (nothing big) or write. I am attempting those things to invest in that are uplifting and renew me. So often a good book is my favorite way. I am attempting to leave behind social media on the Sabbath because it can be draining, but I have not been totally successful. I still get pulled into Instagram and Pinterest. Blessings, Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the social media pull. Some success to moderate is a good thing. Good for you for trying, and thanks for reading both Bella Grace and my posts.

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted