Thursday, December 14, 2017

The Lights of Advent: Thursday's Reflection

Compared to some years, we aren't doing much entertaining this year. We aren't being Scrooges, and we didn't make a conscious decision to not entertain, but this is the way it is this year. 

I remember how, when our children were growing up, we hosted many holiday events, including suppers each Sunday in Advent, a big neighborhood caroling party, plus Epiphany, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve dinners with family and friends. Some years I invited my women friends for a present wrapping party. Such fun to chat and laugh and nosh while wrapping presents. Over the years we have opened our homes, all decked out and looking their festive best. 

I have been feeling bit guilty about all the effort and energy it takes to decorate even this house. True, we don't have the multiple trees we did in our 1906 Victorian. We have no staircases with garland wrapped in white lights and no fireplaces with mantels to fill with greens and glowing, glittery creations. But make no mistake, this house, too, is the setting for Christmas magic. 

Was it worth it, the two full days we devoted right after Thanksgiving to decorating the house? Especially since we aren't hosting many events. And will the two days needed to dismantle, defrock and restore the house after New Year's be worth the effort?


Last night we sat reading in the living room because the snug was a bit chilly. I paused and gazed at the twinkling lights on our Charlie Brown tree and the simple vignette on the coffee table in front of me. "I love this," I whispered inside my heart. 

In the morning we plug in all the lights and just before going to bed, we unplug them and in-between we move through our routines, the tasks of the day, and there are plenty right now. But we have a framework: the lights of Advent. 

Yes, it is worth it. I am reminded of the beauty, the hope, the joys, the promises of this season wherever I look in our home. This is not just any time. This is Advent. 

 My prayer is that I take all those open-hearted feelings into the world wherever I go, whatever I do.

Yes, it is worth it. And who knows, maybe next year we will once again fill the calendar with events in our home.

An Invitation
What keeps you connected to the gifts of this season? I would love to know.   





9 comments:

  1. Before going to bed, I quietly go down to our first floor, checking that all the lights are off, the temperature is turned down and then I light my Advent candles and read the special Advent prayer or reflection for the day that I put aside earlier, saving it for this darkest time. Yesterday it began "I love the word pause. This is the time zone of wonder." — Noelle Oxenhandler
    So, as I sat in the darkness I noticed that an unexpected snowfall was transforming the night scene, I remembered the night before stepping out onto our back porch and looking at a star-filled night sky and that the morning brought news of a new grand niece born into our family. My last pause of the day filled me with the WONDER of the moment, of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a glorious ritual --and the best kind of news. New birth.

      Delete
  2. I too wonder at times if it is all worth it, but then magic, memories and meaningful moments occur. Last night as we put the lights on the family room tree, strands that were fine when tested but failed when on the tree, I grumbled in my mind. My dear hubby kept at it, new lights were found, others restored and the tree came to life, Magic! This morning as I decorated the tree, memories of each ornament and meaningful moments of reflection overswept me. So, yes it is all worth it! Thank you sis for the many ways you are light today and everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are part of the magic, memories, and meaningful moments in my life. (We had the same light failure on our tree last year. Scrooge has his moments!

      Delete
  3. Those Advent dinners were so nice. Thank you for inviting me when you lived on Lincoln.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marry Christmas to you as well. Was fun to get a quick sighting of you at the play the other night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm a new reader to your blog. I believe I found you on Susannah Conway's FB group. I love your beautiful thoughts and wisdom...can't wait to read more posts. My husband and I are both introverts and have a small house, so we don't do much entertaining. We had friends over last week (a couple) for appetizers, drinks and chat, but that's the extent of our entertaining this year. As I get older (I'm 55), I do less decorating for the holidays. I keep it simple but lovely. I'm finding that less is more. And like you mentioned, it's not such a chore once Christmas is over, to pack everything back up and get the house back in order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS - I was just going through more of your posts and read about your feature in Bella Grace. And so then I remembered - that's where I found your blog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to my blog. I am delighted you found your way here, and hope you continue to feel the delight of your less is more Advent into Christmas days.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted