Thursday, September 7, 2017

Self-Care;Thursday's Reflection

"Take care of yourself today," my Dad often says at the end of our brief morning conversation.

My first thought is how he has taken such good care of our family over the years and how he continues to do so. For example, I know he prays for us and keeps us all in his heart. 

Now, of course, we need to care for him in some ways, although he is still quite independent, even at age 94. For example, this past weekend we took him to my mother's grave in Lakewood Cemetery. That is something he can no longer do on his own, along with driving at night or beyond his loop of life. The list of ways he needs our care is small so far, and we are grateful for his good health and active mind. 

I wonder, when he reminds me to take good care of myself, what that means for me right now. I almost immediately think about  what I am NOT doing to take good care of myself, like exercising. And then I feel guilty, of course. 

But there are other ways I do take care of myself, beginning with my morning meditation time. This time grounds me and alerts me to the movement of God in my life. This time opens me to the ways I am meant to move and be in the world and how I am to care for others. If I miss a morning or two of this self-care, I begin to feel wobbly and unsure and critical of myself and others.

Making sure I have writing time, perhaps not every day, but most days, is another way I take care of myself these days. Writing is one of the ways I show up in the world, one of the tools God has given me to live as the person I was created to be. 

Perhaps that's what "taking care of yourself" means: living from your essence, doing the work God created you to do. When I think of it this way, it doesn't feel so self-absorbed, but actually directs me to live wholeheartedly. For myself, but also for and with others.

I feel cared for when my father tells me to have a good day and to take care of myself, and better equipped to live those good words in all I do and all I am. 

An Invitation
What does "take good care of yourself" mean to you? I would love to know. 


2 comments:

  1. I love this blog. I read it immediately after seeing the movie The Glass Castle. It hasn't been in the movie theaters for very long and I'm assuming not doing well, as it's been offered at very odd times (9:40 AM and 10:20 PM for the past 2 weeks). I promised myself I'd see it since I was so moved by the book. Jeannette Walls is a wonderful writer and this movie depicts what you write about today, Nancy. Taking care of oneself naturally becomes being true to oneself.
    It is not an easy movie to watch, for it shows a father who didn't take care of his family, BUT despite that lack, there was happiness at times. I'm glad you know how to take care of yourself, Nancy....that is what was lacking in Jeannette's life for awhile. She did take care of herself, and that ended in becoming true to herself - a turn that was perhaps unexpected, but necessary.
    I can tell when I am not taking care of myself because I feel unsettled, disconnected and scattered. Stepping away from the "chaos" that can creep into one's life is necessary every so often. It puts me back on track.....Thanks for validation for taking those time outs, Nancy. You are taking such good care of your wonderful father and us by your deep and helpful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wondered about seeing this movie. Thanks for the review. And for the affirmation. Do take care of yourself--you are important to me.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted