Thursday, January 22, 2015

Thursday's Reflection: Being Mindful

   




Here's my gift for you today, as passed on to me by a good friend -a list to live by, a list to challenge and encourage you, as you deepen your awareness of who you were created to be.           

          


           

          Seven Things Mindful People Do Differently

1. Approach everyday things with curiosity --and savor them.


2.  Forgive their mistakes --big or small.


3.  Show gratitude for good moments --and grace for bad ones.


4.  Practice compassion and nurture connections.


5.  Make peace with imperfection --inside and out.


6.  Embrace vulnerability by trusting others --and themselves.


7.   Accept --and appreciate -- that things come and go. 


           http://elishagoldstein.com/books/the-now-effect/

                         

Now let's change the words just a bit, making them your own.


                     

                   Seven Things I Do To Be Mindful

1.  I approach everyday things with curiosity --and savor them.


2.  I forgive myself for my own mistakes --big or small.


3.  I show gratitude for good moments --and grace for bad ones.


4.  I practice compassion and nurture connections.


5.  I make peace with my own imperfections --inside and out.


6.  I embrace vulnerability by trusting others --and myself.


7.   I accept --and appreciate -- that things come and go.


Read the list aloud and listen to yourself as you read them. How does the change from the third person to the first change the meaning of this list for you? Is there anything on the list that causes you to pause. "Whoops, I'm not so good at forgiving myself." Or perhaps, I judge first and often, instead of compassion being my default response. 


Think about yesterday and how mindful were you as you moved through the day. What did you savor and what did you take for granted? Where might there be room for some additional mindfulness in your life? 


Ok, one more change. Let's imagine someone is describing you and how mindful you are. 


                  Seven Things You Do To Be Mindful


1. You approach everyday things with curiosity --and savor them.


2. You forgive yourself for your mistakes --big or small.


3.  You show gratitude for good moments --and grace for bad ones.


4.  You practice compassion and nurture connections.


5.  You make peace with your imperfections --inside and out.


6.  You embrace vulnerability by trusting others --and yourself.


7.  You accept --and appreciate -- that things come and go.


Are you blushing with the recognition for a life lived mindfully or are you cringing inside, knowing you have a long way to go to be considered mindful? Which of these sentences feel true to you and which ones false?


Reread numbers 2 and 5. Forgive yourself and make peace with your imperfections. 


This list is not a test. Instead, this list is an open door to living more mindfully. We each have the opportunity each day to live with a wide heart; a heart that is so big there is no choice, but to be curious, forgiving, grateful, compassionate, peaceful, trusting, and accepting. Make the list your spiritual practice. 

An Invitation

Try using this list as your morning litany. Recite it out loud before you begin your day. Perhaps every day focus on one of the numbers --maybe the one that feels the hardest for you. What happens? I would love to know. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted