Thursday, September 25, 2014

Thursday's Reflection: Beginning the Day

Have you noticed how much longer it takes for morning light to appear? The bedside lamp needs to remain on longer than it did even a week ago or so it seems, and it is a bit harder to get out of bed into the darkness and the coolness. I linger in the warmth of our bed longer, even though I am awake. 

I wonder if this gradual movement from one season calls us to a different kind of movement; an inner movement. I invite you to think about the way you start your day. Newspaper? Coffee? Listen to the news? Are you starting your morning the way you always have even though your personal season has changed? Might there be a space in your morning to quietly greet the day? Would you be willing to offer a blessing for the gift of the new day and to ask for a blessing on all the day presents to you before you even stir from bed? What might happen if your routine included time with God, however, you define God, or with the best part of yourself? 

Consider using the lure of staying in bed a bit longer to begin a practice of morning prayer or meditation.

A Sampler of Prayers for the Morning Time

Beloved Friend, I open myself to be of service. Please help me be your arms and willingly hold those who need a healing touch. Open my eyes that I may truly see what you ask of me today. Open my ears that I may truly hear and respond to the cries of joy and sorrow from your children. May the words of my mouth be the meditations of your hear and may I sow peace wherever I go. Amen 
(An unknown source)

Two from Illuminata by Marianne Williamson

Dear God,
I give this day to You.
May my mind stay centered on the things of spirit.
May I not be tempted to stray from love.
As I begin this day, I open to receive You.
Please enter where You already abide.
May my mind and heart be pure and true, and may I not
     deviate from the things of goodness.
May I see the love and innocence in all mankind, behind the
     masks we all wear and the illusions of this worldly plane.
I surrender to You my doings this day.
I ask only that they serve You and the healing of the world.
May I bring Your love and goodness with me, to give unto 
     others wherever I go.
Make me the person You would have me be.
Direct my footsteps, and show me what You would have me do.
Make the world a safer, more beautiful place.
Bless all your creatures.
Heal us all, and use me dear Lord, that I might know the joy of
     being used by You.
Amen

Dear God,
Thank you for this new day, its beauty and its light.
Thank You for my chance to begin again.
Free me from the limitations of yesterday.
Today may I be reborn.
May I become more fully a reflection of Your radiance.
Give me strength and compassion and courage and wisdom.
Shed the light in myself and others.
May I recognize the good that is available everywhere.
May I be this day, an instrument of love and healing.
Lead me into gentle pastures.
Give me deep peace that I might serve You most deeply.
Amen.

Two From Life Prayers, edited by Elizabeth Roberts and Elias Amidon

May my feet rest firmly on the ground
May my head touch the sky
May I see clearly
May I have the capacity to listen
May I be free to touch
May my words be true
May my heart and mind be open
May my hands be empty to fill the need
May my arms be open to others
May my gifts be revealed to me
So I may return that which has been given
Completing the circle.
                           The Terma Collective

May all being be peaceful, happy, and light in body and mind.
May all beings be safe and free from accidents.
May all beings be free from anger, unwholesome states of mind, 
     fear, and worries.
May all beings know how to look at themselves with the eyes of
     understanding and love.
May all beings be able to recognize and touch the seeds of joy and
     happiness in themselves.
May all beings learn how to nourish themselves with joy each day.
May all beings be able to live fresh, solid, and free.
May all beings not fall into the state of indifference or caught in
      the extremes of attachment and aversion.
                                        Thich Nhat Hanh

From "A Morning Offering" by John O'Donohue

I bless the night that nourished my heart
To set the ghosts of longing free
Into the flow and figure of dream
That went to harvest from the dark
Bread for the hunger no one sees.

All that is eternal in me
Welcomes the wonder of this day,
The field of brightness it creates
Offering time for each thing
To arise and illuminate.


May I have the courage today 
To live the life that I would love,
To postpone my dream no longer
But do at last what I came here for
And waste my heart on fear no more. 


If one of these prayers resonates with you, lift it up. Perhaps there is a phrase or line or two that speaks to you.  If so, offer that to the wonders of the morning or listen to the words of your own heart, rising from the dark into the slowly growing light. In the quiet of the morning you may discover your mantra or inspiration for the day. May it be so. 

An Invitation
What is your morning routine? Does it include time for devotion or meditation? If so, how does that time prepare you for the rest of the day? If not, would you be willing to give it a try for a few weeks? I would love to know. 





2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I was just thinking about this very thing this morning. I'd like to incorporate a meditation/prayer with a morning walk in the dark with the dog. Thank you for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the synchronicity of that. I would love to hear how your walking meditation goes.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted